Admissions questions

M.Eng. questions

In 2020, several departments of the School of Engineering and Applied Science piloted a one-year course-based Master of Engineering (M. Eng.) degree for their graduates in the Classes of 2020 and 2021. This program will be continued for the Class of 2023 by the departments referenced in the FAQs below with approval of the Graduate School.

Academics questions

Student life questions

International student questions


Should I apply for the master’s program if my final goal is a Ph.D.?

No. The master’s programs are separate programs that terminate with the master’s degree.

There are two types of master’s programs: Master of Science in Engineering (M.S.E.) and Master of Engineering (M.Eng.). The M.S.E. is available in all departments except Electrical Engineering and is typically funded (tuition and stipend). The M.Eng. is available in all departments except Computer Science and Operations Research and Financial Engineering.

If you are interested in obtaining a Ph.D., you should apply directly to the Ph.D. program in your field. Most departments offer a master’s degree “en route” to the Ph.D. (usually after your second year).

Return to Questions List

What does Princeton Engineering look for in an application?

The school takes a “holistic reading process” approach to reviewing applications. All aspects of the application, including undergraduate coursework, test scores, research experience, and letters of recommendation, are considered.

Strengths in any of these areas may compensate for weaknesses in any other areas, and while it is not necessary to possess an impeccable record in all areas, strength in each is correlated with admission.

In short, there is no formula for gaining admission. Meeting even a small group of current students will help you realize the diverse backgrounds of our admitted students.

Return to Questions List

What GRE scores do I need to be accepted?

There are no strict cutoffs or quotas pertaining to GRE scores and admission. Averages are reported in some university publications and media such as U.S. News & World Report.

The majority of scores for recently admitted students were over 550 on the verbal portion and over 700 on the quantitative portion, with specific results varying across departments and programs.

Please do not let scores you perceive to be low discourage you from applying, as strengths in other areas can and regularly do compensate.

Return to Questions List

Should I contact Princeton professors with whom I am interested in working?

Not necessarily. It is not required that you contact faculty members at Princeton, nor is it clear that doing so will help you gain admission. The answer varies from one faculty member to another.

If you have a specific question about a faculty member’s research, you are welcome to send him or her an email. However, please keep in mind that faculty members are very busy, so you should not feel discouraged from applying if you do not receive a response.

In fact, some faculty have a policy of not responding to emails from prospective students to avoid issues of advantage or fairness. Please be sure to visit the faculty member’s web page first to see if he or she encourages emails from prospective students.

If you are planning to visit the campus as a prospective student, please email the graduate program administrator for your department to arrange meetings with faculty members with whom you would like to meet. Please see the department web pages for contact information for your prospective graduate program administrator.

Return to Questions List

Do I need an undergraduate or master’s degree in an engineering field to apply?

No. Many of our students majored in other disciplines as undergraduates.

Since the school emphasizes both engineering and applied science, a large number of these students majored in the sciences and are now pursuing more applied work. Other students come from non-science fields.

All departments do, however, have core competency requirements that usually must be fulfilled within the first two years in the program. These requirements vary in terms of the background knowledge expected of incoming students.

Please consult the departmental web sites and graduate program administrators for specific information.

Return to Questions List

Do I have to know my specific research area before I apply?

The short answer is no, although you must apply to only one department.

Departments and research groups take varying approaches in this matter, though all departments have some flexibility so that students are not committed to one faculty member or research group from the day they arrive.

Many departments do, however, request that students indicate a division of interest on their applications, and they assign first-year advisors based on these interests. Please check with the department’s graduate program administrators for further information about this question.

Return to Questions List

Should I mention specific professors with whom I would like to work in my application personal statement?

Generally, yes. Your personal statement should detail why you would like to attend Princeton Engineering for graduate school and should indicate that you are aware of the research opportunities available in your program and have considered faculty members and research groups that are a good match for your background and interests.

Often this information is used by departments to ensure that appropriate faculty members have a chance to review relevant applications and to help in making decisions such as first year advisor assignments. However, it is also important to be selective and show thoughtfulness. Simply listing the names of every professor in your program or division will not impress anybody.

Return to Questions List


Which School of Engineering departments are participating?

The departments that will offer the M.Eng. for the Class of 2023 are

Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE)

Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)

Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE)

DeptartmentDeadlineContact for more info
CBEDecember 1, 2023Karen Oliver
ECEDecember 15, 2023Jean Bausmith
MAEDecember 1, 2023Caasi Love

Return to Questions List

What is the length of the M.Eng. Program?

It is a two-semester, course-based Master of Engineering degree.

No courses taken while an undergraduate may count toward the M.Eng. degree, and no courses may be retaken to count toward the M.Eng. degree.

Return to Questions List

Who is eligible to apply to this M.Eng. program?

Eligibility requirements will vary by department. Some departmental programs are only open to Princeton students from designated majors. You are advised to read carefully each department’s graduate application webpage for eligibility requirements, deadlines, and submission materials.

Questions about specific requirements such as GPAs, or from non-BSE Princeton students, should be directed to the departments of interest.

Applications from BSE students and non-BSE students in departments other than the one for which they are applying will be assessed to determine level of preparation for completing graduate coursework.

Return to Questions List

How does one apply to the program?

The graduate application can be found at: https://gradschool.princeton.edu/admission/applying-princeton/apply.

Application fees will be waived for Princeton seniors applying to the M.Eng. program. You may refer to the Director of Graduate Studies or the Graduate Program Administrator in the department to which you will apply for a fee waiver code.

Final decisions and official notifications will be sent by the graduate school in March, and admitted applicants will have until April 15 to accept the offer of admission.

Return to Questions List

Is it possible to defer admission?

Deferral of admission to a future year is not possible; seniors who apply and are accepted are admitted for the following academic year only.

Return to Questions List

Where can I find funding opportunities or resources?

Princeton University subscribes to a comprehensive funding database where you can source graduate funding opportunities.  In the search bar type in “graduate student fellowships” or “graduate student scholarships,” or similar.

Are M.Eng. students allowed to work?

M.Eng. students are permitted to work in a variety of ways as described below. However, because graduate study at Princeton requires a full-time commitment, we ask students to be prudent about the amount of time devoted to work to ensure academic progress/success.

M.Eng. students participating in this program are eligible to perform paid hourly work on education-related activities for their departments or for the University on a part-time basis (and are not bound by the 10 hour/week limit placed on fully-funded graduate students).

  • M.Eng. students may serve as half AIs in the fall. AI eligibility in the spring term will be contingent upon making good academic progress in the fall as determined by the departmental Director of Graduate Studies.
  • M.Eng. students may not AR but may participate in research on an hourly basis
  • M.Eng. students may be assigned hourly work related to course or lab development
  • M.Eng. students may be hired to work on educational programs such as winter session programs

M.Eng. students who are U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply to the Federal Work Study (FWS) program. FWS is a federal aid program that subsidizes wages for eligible students and at Princeton. To be eligible for this program at Princeton, students must:

  • Be either U.S. citizens or permanent residents
  • Demonstrate financial need and federal eligibility
  • Complete the FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is required to evaluate your eligibility to take part in the work study program.
  • Notify the Graduate School once the FAFSA has been completed and submitted
  • Be in good academic standing if applying mid-year.

Federal Work Study students are paid on an hourly basis only. Salary, fee or commission arrangements are not permitted. Students must be paid for all hours worked and may not volunteer their services to employers.

More information can be found on the Graduate School website or the Student Employment site

Resources for filling out the FAFSA at: https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out.  More specific questions can be answered by Jeanette DeGuire in the Graduate School:  jdeguire@Princeton.EDU.

International students are eligible to work on campus for up to 20 hours/week during the semester. If students plan to work on campus the summer between their bachelor’s and master’s program, they are advised to go to the Davis International Center to ask for a “change of level” from bachelors to masters before to become employment eligible. Questions regarding off-campus work should be directed to the Davis International Center.

Return to Questions List

Are M.Eng. students able to apply for student housing?

Applicants should not apply for University graduate housing, as it will not be available to students in this program.

Students seeking off-campus housing can find listings and roommate search options on the Off-Campus Housing site:  https://offcampushousing.princeton.edu. The contact for students with questions is Sarah Major who is the manager for Off-Campus Housing: smajor@princeton.edu; Phone:  609-258-5897 

Some departments may have information about available sublets provided by prior students. If you need assistance with housing, please check in with your department for available resources.

Return to Questions List

Can M.Eng. students purchase meal plans?

Return to Questions List

Could M.Eng. students take additional course or audit courses?

Students are permitted to take courses in addition to those required by their degree programs and they need not be in a STEM discipline. Students planning to take additional coursework are recommended to advise their department of these plans to ensure they are on track to meet degree requirements.

Graduate students are allowed to audit courses as long as they get permission from individual instructors teaching the courses. It is highly recommended that students advise their departments of plans to audit additional courses to ensure they are able to meet department requirements.

Return to Questions List


What are general examinations?

General examinations, or “generals,” vary by department, but are essentially comprehensive examinations intended to assess expertise in a field. They may be written, oral, or a combination of both and may include both undergraduate and graduate material.

Depending on your department, they are usually taken in the first or second year of the Ph.D. program. Most graduate schools have similar examinations, though the titles may vary – they can also be referred to as “qualifiers,” “A-levels,” or “prelims.”

Please consult the individual department web pages for specific details about general exams within each department.

Return to Questions List

Can I take courses in departments outside of my own?

Absolutely! That’s one of the perks of being a Princeton graduate student.

With a few rare exceptions, such as visual and performance arts, you are free to take courses in any department in the university and the tuition is still covered. In fact, you are encouraged to take courses in other departments that are related to your research.

Engineering graduate students often take courses for personal interest, whether for credit or not, in a variety of programs in the humanities, arts, and social and natural sciences.

Return to Questions List

Student life

What is social life like for graduate students at Princeton?

Princeton is unusual in that the Graduate College, or “GC,” serves as a focal point for graduate student residential and social life.

The social life of Princeton graduate students is a communal, supportive environment, with much camaraderie among students. They benefit from a small school atmosphere in which most graduate students know most others.

Most single first-year graduate students live in the GC, which is a dormitory-style complex, and enjoy plenty of opportunities to meet through living and dining with each other.

Some students elect to live in one of the on-campus apartments, yet still enjoy the wealth of social events that the GC provides. These include weekly social hours, movie nights, intramural sports, and activities ranging from canoeing in the Pocono Mountains to trips to the Jersey shore.

Return to Questions List

What housing options are available for Princeton graduate students?

Most graduate students, especially incoming students, live in University housing, either in dorms at the Graduate College or in apartments in Lawrence or Lakeside Communities.

Housing for students with families is available in all of the apartment complexes. Assignment to university housing is based on a lottery system, with priority allocated based on year in the program.

For more information, please consult the university’s official graduate student housing site.

Return to Questions List

What is the town of Princeton like?

Princeton is a vibrant college town with a rich history that dates back to America’s colonial era.

The town offers many restaurants, shopping areas, and cultural activities. It is a safe area, with a very low crime index, within an hour of both New York City and Philadelphia by train or car.

The proximity to these cities provides many opportunities for entertainment and convenience – both Newark and Philadelphia international airports, for instance, are less than an hour away. We encourage you to visit Princeton for yourself to find out more.

Return to Questions List

International students

How many of your students are international?

Approximately 55% of Princeton Engineering graduate students are international.

Return to Questions List

If I am a Canadian citizen, do I still need to get a visa?

Yes, you do, but you do not need to go to an American Embassy. Instead, just show your documents when you cross the border (whether it’s by plane or otherwise), and a visa will be issued to you on the spot.

Return to Questions List

Whom should I contact about visas?

The office of Visa Services may be able to help you.

Return to Questions List